Pattern: Miss Dish & Mr Spoon by Happy Together (free)
Fabric/Material: fleece and scraps of fabric. I’ve had the striped jersey for almost 10 years!
For: myself…for now.
I started off with a round Miss Dish, but somehow she ended up oval! It was quite hard to stitch through all the materials, the walking foot did help, but it was still a challenge. Also, I didn’t have black fleece and wanted to keep them washable plushes (hence not add any felt), but I’m really pleased how the dark gray eyes (and the ‘eyeliner’) worked out :).
I thought about giving Miss Dish & Mr Spoon away, but they make me smile everytime I see them, so I’ll hold on to them for a little bit :).
Pattern: Well… I saw this picture on the internet and used that as a reference :$
Fabric/Material: scraps of fabric and felt and a bit of stuffing
For: a friend in need :)
Not my cleanest work, but quite happy with the result :) The only thing that keeps bugging me, is; is this a birdie or another owl?
Pattern: Self drafted
Time needed: 15-20 min!
Fabric/Material: scraps of Darla Blush by Tanya Whelan (same as Yarn basket and Miss Owl), matching fleece and elastic
For: myself! :D
Well it’s needless to say that my sleep mask -which I use in summer and in the plane- needed to be replaced desperately. I can wash it a million times but it won’t get any cleaner and the elastic is totally worn out.
I really like the combination of the Darla Blush and fleece fabric, so I wanted to use it again :). Some time in the future I’ll also make a matching neck roll, because I think I lost mine to the hubby ;).
Project: Small alterations for Dress for Success, where I volunteer as a tailor (a.o.). This time: fixing 2 broken zippers in designer skirts.
Garments: a $248 designer skirt and a $298 designer skirt (!!)
Repair cost: $5,48 (2 new blind zippers)
For: Dress for Success
A first: adding blind zippers!
Another first: Ripping $300 designer skirts apart ;)
After leaving the American Red Cross and looking out for new volunteer work, I came across Dress for Success. It’s “the mission of Dress for Success [...] to promote the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire, a network of support and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.”
I attended the orientation meeting and felt extremely inspired and empowered to join this beautiful cause! I’m still in the process of getting to know the company and finding my spot, but so far it has been great! During the orientation I let slip that I can sew…and now I’m in charge of the alterations (I secretly call myself a tailor already ;)). It’s just a few pieces a month that have a ripped seam, missing button or broken zipper.
This week I finished my first batch of alterations. It was a bit daunting, because 1) those are expensive skirts! and 2) I had never sewn in a blind zipper before…but I really enjoyed doing it! And I’m pretty pleased with how it worked out :). I had to sew the lining back in by hand, which was quite a bit of work, but I guess that’s what makes it couture, right? :)
Here’s some pictures :) I unfortunately forgot to take a proper before picture of skirt 2 :-/. If you don’t see much of a difference between the before and after pictures, I’ve done well!
Yayyy! I just won a pack of 3 patterns from Victory Patterns!!! I’m so excited!!!
I’m most surprised though :-o, I hardly ever take part in giveaways (I only sign up if I really love the prizes, and then often I still forget to sign up…), but I just felt I hád to sign up for this great giveaway! :) The patterns are so elegant, with a modern touch :), just the style I love!
Now I really should start making things for myself!!
Image by VictoryPatterns.com
Pattern/Tutorial: Moda’s Sewing Room Task Basket, but I made the original 51″ (!) circumferance smaller to fit my cube closet.
Cost: I’m guesstimating around $5, because of the more expensive exterior fabric
Fabric: Darla Blush by Tanya Whelan and heavyweight interfacing
For: my crochet yarn and tools ^v^
A first: making and adding piping!
I’m having a hard time to decide what I want to make, because there are so many things that I want to make! I finally decided to go for a practical project first; making a basket for the yarn that I got over Christmas. After all I need something better than a plastic bag to keep it in :).
Someone of course had to steal the limelight while I was trying to make pictures ;)
It was my first time inserting (my own made) piping. Bernina sells a braiding foot (#12), which makes it easier to insert and cover the piping, but I don’t have that presser foot yet, so I used edgestitch foot #10 instead, which worked pretty okay. I do think some parts are a bit sloppy looking (too much fabric around the piping), so presser foot #12 is definitely on my wishlist, especially since reading it’s actually meant for sewing thicker jerseys and sweater knits.
It was also my first time adding a ‘Made with Love’-label, I thought it would look cute :). I’m looking at getting my own neenkster.com-labels produced, but haven’t been able to find a good deal yet, so generic ones work just fine for me :).
The bottom fabric of the basket is stretching a bit, I think the bottom circle may have been too small for the body panel. My mistake!
Pattern/Tutorial: Retro Mama – Home for Holidays
Cost: scraps, so no calculable cost
For: my Oma (grandma)
After seeing Retro Mama’s tutorial, I couldn’t resist making Oma a couple of houses. The little houses represent the houses of her sister († 2010), her 3 daughters and herself :).
Needless to say it took me quite some hours (especially making decisions about the fabric combinations!), but I really enjoyed making them :). I think I’ll make myself some as well -I’m still debating if the houses are gonna represent something- and will fill them with lavender to hang between my clothes :).