Not So Itty Bitty Giraffe

Remember this squash? And Spike’s headless friend? Well, I finished him!


It was the second knitting project I ever started (ambitious eh), but I lost interest more than a few times during the project. It nearly took me 2 years to finish him. I worked on him on and off, while knitting/crocheting 35 other things in the mean time.

The Not So Itty Bitty Giraffe (pattern by Susan B. Anderson) is huge!

(I made a second bassinet sheet too, I like the tiny stars :))


The dumbest thing I did was never write down which size needles I had used, therefore the gauge of this project is all over the place. I used so many different needles, I think…The legs are more firm than the body etc. Bit silly of me! I have to remind myself to always enter the needle size on Ravelry! It’s so easy…

The thing I was most uncertain about was the face. I tried different faces (from creepy to sleepy), as I never liked the original sleepy face, but nothing worked out. I added a mouth, tried to make him smile as much as possible through his sleepy eyes and now I’m quite pleased with his look!


from creepy to sleepy

Nov 5, 2012 – Started the giraffe

Nov 13, 2012 – Finished the body, woah, definitely a lot more work than I thought!

Nov 16, 2012 – Finished the head within a few hours!

July 11, 2013 – Time to finish the giraffe! Working on the legs! Frogged the head.

April 27, 2014 – Reknitting the head

May 29th, 2014 – Attaching the head, ears, tail. Also trying different faces, not convinced by any of them.

Late August/September 2014 – Rethinking the face. Guess I’m going with the sleepy look after all!

September 4, 2014 – Finishing the last few spots, made pictures. These btw are my first pictures shot in RAW. We got a Photoshop and Lightroom membership too to really improve our pictures.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Be Sociable, Share!
Submit comment