Spicy Chicken with Dates & Butternut Squash
I’m working on some baby gifts, that I can’t reveal yet, so I thought I’d post a recipe :). This recipe is by Rachel Ray and it goes well with both couscous and rice. It’s a sweet dish and my versions never turned out even close to spicy, but I really like it and so does the hubby! :)
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- 1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), seeded, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs, chopped
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 12 dried pitted dates, coarsely chopped (~ 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (a large handful) cilantro or flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
– While the squash is working, place a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chicken to the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown and almost cooked through, 6-7 minutes.
– Add the onion, dates, spices, bay leaf and cinnamon stick to the pan, and continue cooking until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the pan and cook for about 1 minute. Add the stock to the pan and bring up to a bubble. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened and dates are plump, 5-6 minutes.
– Remove and discard the bay leaf and cinnamon stick from the stew. Stir in the roasted butternut squash. Garnish with the cilantro or parsley and serve with Citrus Couscous alongside.