I’m only 1 year and 4 months behind with blogging, but here’s something I finished 2 days ago. I made this for a friend, who saw the picture on the right on Pinterest and asked if someone could make it. I’ve never made a wreath before, but have been interested in it lately and thought I could help.
I needed much more material than I thought, I bought everything at Michaels, and the total material cost (after coupons of course) was about $35.
The wreath is really big, but that’s because I couldn’t find a smaller size wreath for the head. Michaels only sells wreaths in sizes 12″, 18″ and 24″.
The hardest part was making the ears. I made the ears by bending the 12″ wreath into an oval shape. Not as easy as I thought. I also cut the outer circle of the wreath, otherwise the ears would have been too wide. Because I bend the circles, it was harder to weave the burlap through. Attaching the ears was also a problem. They are quite heavy. I added rope to the head and both the ears to attach to a wreath hook, because otherwise the ears would hang forward. I couldn’t come up with any other ideas, nor could I find any info about this on the internet.
Another thing that was difficult was filling up the middle of the wreath. I couldn’t find any info on this on the Internet either. I decided to make slightly bigger loops in the middle, held together with thread.
It was fun making this wreath, but the details and securing those with needle and thread took a long time; I won’t be making another one. I don’t do hot glue, it’s a mess and just seeing the results of other people, makes me not want to use it.
I couldn’t find pink burlap on a roll, so made it myself by buying 1 yard of fabric, cutting strips and zigzagging them (serging would have been a better idea, but I didn’t have enough spools of salmon color serger thread and wasn’t planning to go to the store again).
I tried to imitate the Pinterest wreath as much as possible, but thought the eyes needed to be bigger. Bigger eyes is always more attractive. Also, I wasn’t a fan of the head bow, so made a bow tie instead, as suggest by the friend I was making this for.
Sadly because of this ear problem, the ears are really close to each other. I thought about attaching them to each other with more chenille stems/pipe cleaners, but I didn’t. I have no idea how the lady who made the wreath as featured on Pinterest has her ears attached to the head. If you can think of any solution, please let me know!